Thursday, July 30, 2009

Nostalgia

I was looking at all these old DD documentaries today on Youtube (bless that site). My personal favs are the "Mile Sur Mera Tumhara", and "Baje Sargam". Where are those kind of films now? I think apart from the short documentaries' inherent goosebump-y appeal, there was the charm of DD also.

Its just sad that children these days aren't growing up with these wonderful films. I remember running to the television set every time these films would be broadcast. I remember Byomkesh Bakshi, the detective serial aired every wednesday at 9.00 PM. And I don't know if anyone even remembers "Stone Boy". That serial had a haunting title song.

Then there was the "Purab se surya uga" franchise - the heart-warming short films stressing the importance of education. Sigh.

I'm glad I was born in the 80s.

5 comments:

kusublakki said...

Ironically, I heard baje sargam today and thought of the same thing! Sadly, half the people in my friends circle dont even remember that such a song existed!

I remember watching rangoli every saturday morning. How I miss those days!

Do u remember the title song of chandrakantha? Its one of my favs...also shows like yeh jo hain zindagi and all! Ok I'll stop before I get onto a tangent and eat up all the space in the comment section :)

Awesome post!

Srividya said...

@Kusub: I remember Rangoli too!!! It had Hema Malini right ... Sunday mornings were a treat (I also remember waking up to it! I think it aired before 9.00 AM :P)

Where the hell's good television man? Its all saas-bahu sobs right now. Grumble grumble.

Thanks for writing in! :)

Unknown said...

I loved Stone Boy.....and absolutely remember all the short films you are talking about....I guess they are wonderfully nested in our memories. Thanks for reminding me about the good old days....i tried to look up stone boy on youtube once, but i couldn't find it...lemme know if you do!!!

Best,
S

Srividya said...

@Sunayna: Nah ... didn't find "Stone boy" either. When I searched for it, got a whole lot of stone boy hits but none that catered to what I was looking for ... :(

Will keep you posted though! :)

Liberal said...

Am glad I was born early enough to remember these...the DD shows were amazing..what stood out for me was the perfection in the quality of the language they used...whether Hindi or English, it was hard to find a flaw.