Sunday, November 16, 2008

Dehugging life.

M: I've decided that I shall never speak to all and sundry in Telugu.

V : What happened?

M: A life-altering incident.

V : I repeat ... what happened?

M: Ok ... so I was in Mysore. For my training. On my left sat my good friend (whose name eludes me right now), while on my right, sat... well... a guy who wasn't. After conversing with my good-friend-seated-on-my-left, and realizing a little later, that class was over, I turned to the guy on my right and asked him to move. He looked shocked. Taken aback used in conjuction with scandalized would attempt to convey the general impression he gave. And with all this, he didn't budge but instead coughed a "Sorry?". I repeated my request. The traumatized fish-out-of-water, hunted look still hung on his face. I was beginning to lose my patience. People were queueing up behind me with a "Hoy! Get a move on there!". And in my indignation, I exclaimed "Please move!" to which reason seemed to return to the hapless chap's throne and he ... well ... he moved.

I found out later that the unfortunate guy was a kannadiga. That's nice. But I still couldn't fathom why he looked like he'd seen a ghost when I asked him to move. And then, it hit me. I had spoken to the guy in Telugu in the first two instances of requesting him to displace himself. But that still didn't explain his outrageous 'Howwwwwwwww could you?' expression.

I bumped into a Kannadiga friend of mine later, and asked him casually what tappuko meant in kannada? He laughed and said not sans a mischevious gleam in his eye 'Why? Have you been using that word lately?' and promptly dismissed my question. Now I knew there was something wrong. This time I sought out a girl friend of mine, another Kannadiga and posed the same Q. Again the m. gleam in the e. Damn. Whaaaaaaaaaaat did I do wrong? And this time, the answer came.

V : What happened?" (Ok ... I think I need a new line)

M: Well ... I was speaking to my friend right? ... in class? I was conversing with her in telugu. And when the class ended, I had turned around and said "tappuko" in the same flow to this random guy. And ... sigh! While tappuko means 'move' in telugu ... (deep sigh) ... that guy heard it as something else... the 'pp' part of tappuko must have sounded like 'bb' to him and ...

V : Ok ... what happened? (I really need a new line now...)

(Silence)
.
.
.
.
.
.
(Umm... more silence)
.
.
.
.
.
.
M : Sigh ... In kannada, tabbuko means "hug me".

V : (Rendered incapable of speech. Current action : ROTFL)

13 comments:

buddy said...

ROTFL
:)

Anonymous said...

Aduke, mysoorudalli irbekanthe, Kannada sarivaagi kalsikobeku. artha ayitha? adu ninne friendge helu! :P ROFL!! muhahahahahaha.....:D:D:D

Srividya said...

@ sthitam : "Anduke, mysore velte, kaasta kannada telusukuni vellali. Adi nee friend ki cheppu." Anthena? :D

@Buddy : I second that. :)

Anonymous said...

Spot on!! :D

divs said...

lol...that was funny, jus imagine how wud it be if he fulfilled ur wish...lol

Srividya said...

@Divya : Not my wish amma ... friend's ... :D

Musical Scientist said...

Nice post :).

Thanks a lot for visiting my blog and sharing your thoughts..please visit more often. On an entirely different note, I have replied to your query on "bhajana sEyave in kEdAram" in my blog..but just in case, thought I will copy paste here too-

"Dear Srividya,

Welcome to my blog. Thanks a lot for your kind words..extremely glad to note that you liked my post :). It is indeed an amazing song by dIkshithar (as always).

Regarding your query, this is a common confusion. Bhajana Seyave in kEdAram is a composition of Anai ayya and not annamayya. Anai ayya were actually 2 brothers, Anai aiyer and ayyavaiyer. They used the mudra "umAdAsa" and you can see this in the charaNam of Bhajana seyave as "umAdAsu kuladhanamai". Some of their other popular krithis are intaparaka in nAdanAmakriya and amba nannu brovave in tODi. Hope this helps :)."
-Sai

Lavanya said...

Lesson learned : Use sign language! :D

Musical Scientist said...

Hi Srividya,

Continuing to copy-paste from my comments section:

"Hi Srividya,

You are most welcome. I have already discussed the abhayAmba vibakti krithis. You can read dAkSAyaNi at http://nadhasudharasa.blogspot.com/2008/04/daksayani-todi.html .It is an absolute charm of a tODi :). Please continue to read my posts and share your thoughts. Thank you!!

-Sai."

Ramana KV said...

Very funny..

Liberal said...

haha...nice situation! pretty decent of the guy to be shocked and not help himself!

easyvegrecipes said...

hi,
is that my sweet srividya daughter of AVV Subba Rao,aka subbu mava stays in kukatpally, hyderabad. If so please email me and see my blogs.
I have to read all your blogs.I didn't read them completely, one day or the other I will do it.
bye
sailaja

Smita said...

ROFL